Life can be hard, sometimes. And there are times that Life throws challenge after another at us, with barely a breather in between. What’s someone to do when life gets really hard?
- Pray! “Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray.”- James 5:13, NIV. When life is too tough to stand, kneel. God is willing and able to help.
- Rejoice. Be thankful. You don’t have to wait for your life to change. Right there in the midst of that challenge, break out in a song. Sing a song of praise to God. If the words won’t come out, jump-start the process with a music record “Sing, barren woman, you who never bore a child; burst into song, shout for joy, you who were never in labor; because more are the children of the desolate woman than of her who has a husband,” says the LORD..-Isaiah 54:1, NIV. In the upside-down way of the kingdom of God, we can rejoice when we are in trouble because we are assured by our ever-faithful father that all will be well.
- Breathe. Take a moment. Pause. Nap. Drink a cup of coffee or green tea. Breathe in. Exhale. We often feel overwhelmed and uncertain when we are tired. Resting helps we gain a new perspective and the energy to forge forward.
- Move. As in take a walk, Solvitur Ambulando! Walking solves everything. Exercise releases endorphin, which create feelings of happiness, and norepinephrine, a chemical that moderates the brain’s response to stress. “I have two doctors, my left leg and my right. When body and mind are out of gear (and those twin parts of me live at such close quarters that the one always catches melancholy from the other) I know that I have only to call in my doctors and I shall be well again.” –George Macaulay Trevelyan, “Walking,” 1913
- And Move as in don’t stop. You don’t need to have the whole journey figured out; just take the next clear step. A mentor once told me that half of life is showing up. Keep showing up for your life and it will amaze you how far you’ll go.
- Seek Help. Sharing a problem halves it instantly. Find a friend to share your challenge with, or to ask for help if they can give it. A friend loves at all times and brothers are born for days of adversity. Seeking help also includes getting professional assistance. Industrial specialization means there’s at least someone in this world whose work is to create solutions to the problems you are facing, whether it is a career rut or a health challenge.
As you pray, sing, breathe, move and seek help, I am certain that this present set of challenges will one day be a memory. You would have emerged on the other side like silver refined in a furnace.
Which of these actions do you need to do more?